Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Tan lines, chow lines & laugh lines

Dunedin, FL -- Now that we've been down here for a couple of weeks, and despite my attempts to prevent it, the sun has made its mark on the few exposed parts of my tender white skin. Those parts are on the tops of my feet, where the sandal straps are not, a V-shaped spot where my open collar exposes a bit of neck, and my hands and wrists. So, when I take off my footwear, one can see three tan-coloured stripes, and my watch's usual spot on my left wrist is now clearly visible when I set my watch aside for the night.

On days like yesterday, when we walked on the beach, I regularly violate the dress code of skimpy bathing suits or shorts, strolling along as I do with long sleeves, long pants and my ever-present Tilley hat. But it's been a long time since I've had to nurse a painful sunburn, so I don't mind looking comparatively freakish. And yes, I've heard of sunscreen, but it would take entire tubes of the expensive stuff daily to accomplish what I do with clothing, plus I'd reek of chemicals and my eyes would smart and run for hours if the slightest speck of the goop got near them.

We've had a busy time in the RV park -- hence my silence on BlogSpot. On Saturday everyone gathered at the clubhouse for the annual farewell party, since many residents are packing up and heading north again. "When are you leaving?" is the mantra of the day. Tasty pulled-pork sandwiches were doled out along with chips and pop, plus cake for dessert, and we all trooped outside under the palm trees to eat and tap our feet to the golden oldies performed by the talented duo known as SPF40.

Later that afternoon, we were invited to the Cuban fest, held on Quail Street. We are on Sandpiper, but were honorary residents of Quail for the occasion. Ladies came in flowered dresses and gents in Hawaiian shirts, and we lined the street with lawn chairs. The Alvarez family served up delicious Cuban pulled pork, rice and black beans, followed by rum and cigars, while wonderful music played in the background.

Val and I had to sneak away early to participate in Trivia Night at the clubhouse to close out the evening. Who knew that Doritos came before Pringles, or that the winged Mercury hood ornament belonged to Saab? "Everybody!" was the standard answer! Our team didn't win, but we had a good time and lots of laughs.

Sunday we had an early-morning mission: to pick up Val's brother John and wife Fawn at Tampa Airport, back from snowy Canada after a family emergency. They got a hero's welcome when we returned with them to the park -- and this evening we got a second helping of the Cuban feast when they shared the care package that the Alvarez family kindly set aside for them!

While we enjoyed the meal, outside the skies opened and the wind blew and the rain came down in torrents. Lucky for us, by the time we headed back to our site, the rain had stopped and the air was lovely and fresh.

No comments: